From Supply Chain-Blockchain-Heal the body, mind & earth
18 years ago, I got into IT sourcing not to make a buck, but to fix the wrongs that I saw in building the backbone of the internet in the 90s. The world of large technology deals was (and, let’s face it, decades later still is) full of FUD, price discrimination, poor decisions, and outright corruption. I knew I could bring transparency, cut waste, and eliminate ill-conceived decisions. And I did – saving hundreds of millions and preventing bad decisions.
But what is the good that you do in that world? On a successful day, it’s taking a few million bucks from overpaid salespeople and egregious margins and giving it back to talented technologists to build great products. However, most days it’s just a transfer from one Fortune 500 to another – almost like Indiana Jones taking back the lost Ark and having it lost in the archives of the government.
That said, I still like that job of helping my friends get more out of IT. It pays the bills, including those for a brilliant team. No one is as good at it in areas like CDN, hosting, and telco. I have clients I can be proud of – Hearst, eBay, Microsoft, Nike, Merrill Lynch, Sony, and dozens of other brands you know. More than that, I’ve made friends that have done business with me for decades and trust that only time buys. I really like it, so if you have a problem with your external IT OpEx, we will still fix it.
We’ve Done Well. Time to Do More Good & Great
But then I got lucky and found that I don’t have to settle for a job I like – I can do one I love. We will be announcing an important partnership with a group of the foremost authority and experience for social impact investment, measurement and reporting, who will help guide us on this journey. We have been measuring CSR- corporate social responsibility for clients for 15 years, dating all the way back to the foundation of Clinton Global Initiative and our work with Aspen Institute and Socrates Society. And that is helping bring new socially-conscious ventures to the market. These firms are using the blockchain to reconfigure how we do business, democratize access to finance, stabilize volatile fiat currencies, change healthcare, enable mindful spending, and most importantly, include social impact calculations into every aspect of their business. Here’s just a sampling of the organizations I’m working with recently:
1. Good Money – on-ramp for consumer crypto-ization and real-time feedback on social responsibility of the dollars we spend and incentives to reward the companies that do good in the world
2. Yoti – the next generation of digital identity verification, helping more than a million people around the world encrypt IDs and share less data
3. EOS, Hashgraph, and other proof-of-stake platforms – replacing highly wasteful bitcoin mining- which we have been sourcing for 6 years- with a trust-based blockchain platform that is many orders of magnitude more efficient. Supporting node and block producer buildouts
4. Block.one investor – block.one designs free market systems to secure life, liberty, and property by publishing open source software that is free for everyone to use.
5. DNA.fund shareholder, technology partner & investor – picking out the most innovative and impactful ventures to connect with crypto-investors and philanthropists who want to impact a billion lives. We source and service technology and social impact projects with them, participate in due diligence and help their clients source the right infrastructure.
6. Quantum Water – world-changing water technologies and sustainable energy solutions
7. Deedcoin – blockchain for removing friction and complexity in real estate and reduce agent commissions by 80%
8. PRIVATE – This Ag-Tech solutions increase crop yields by 200% or more. Increasing phytonutrient density and pathogen resistance, achieving and maintaining the perfect chemical balance eliminates the need for pesticides and fertilizers.
9. Unitus Ventures partner– India’s top social impact fund that has already impacted 1.2 million people
10. Codex Protocol – advisor Codex is a decentralized registry for assets like art, fine wines, watches and more
11. PRIVATE– a platform for real-time worldwide communication and deployment of artificial intelligence bots to help us make sense of the flood of open data it opens, sourcing a new HFT network for crypto
12. UpChannel –Spire Protocol – connects carriers and smartphone manufacturers with their customers, enabling data-driven insight for emergency response systems, documenting identities, and establishing basic banking and financial protections in emerging markets
13. Solo Sciences – understanding provenance and attributes of cannabis as medicine to help conduct meaningful research on health impacts and potential benefits
14. ICO TBD
15. PRIVATE – innovations in addiction and PTSD treatment through a holistic framework with potentially radical results
16. Additionally we are running various global confidential audit projects to ensure that no bad actors sneak in under the cover of the innovation and enthusiasm of the blockchain revolution (see Blockchain Audit Services).
Within these blockchain-related projects, I work with my team as a mix of advisor, connector, auditor, and lodestar to ensure the venture is always pointed towards a positive social impact. So if you’re building a blockchain business that makes an impact and you need investors, connections, objective validation, or just friendly advice, get in touch.
“RampRate has been my most reliable global resource and is ready to perform for us at a moment’s notice. Their inside knowledge and ability to handle high-level complex negotiations helped us move fast! They made scaling easier.”
Paul Sams, COO, Blizzard Entertainment
“For over a dozen years, RampRate helped my companies understand the differences between suppliers and worked with us to create the methodology, define the metrics and utilize the proper QoS tools needed to choose the supplier best suited to our needs or restructuring through tailoring solutions. RampRate knows this business better than anyone. We literally saved months of time and optimized our infrastructure spend time and time again. They saved us millions, created agility and new budget out of thin air.” We use them to source or renegotiate cloud, CDN, data center, telecom, software, and strategic initiatives.
Phil Wiser, CTO Hearst, formerly of Sony and Liquid Audio
“I knew I was leaving a bit on the table in our outsourced contracts. But the corporate mandate is growth and innovation, and when further contract improvement seemed to be marginal, my team’s first priorities had to move elsewhere. We can count on RampRate to be precise, timely and create millions in value.”
Dean Nelson, Vice President of Global Foundation Services, eBay
“I have had the pleasure of working with the crew at RampRate several times. Each time they have saved significant time in negotiating and closing contracts for data center space, telecom and managed services, which provided at least 20% savings over what we could have done alone and certainly cut processes in half. Tony and team are extremely knowledgeable in this space and always bring innovation and out-of-the-box thinking to the table.”
Michael Montalto, Accenture
With 128 million active users globally, eBay is one of the world's largest online marketplaces where practically anyone can buy and sell practically anything. Founded in 1995, eBay connects a diverse and passionate ...
RampRate delivers expert, transformative technology cost savings and optimization services. We reduce risk by refining client and supplier relationships, aggregating service provider data...
We compare your current contract and service requirements with market norms for service level agreements, contract terms, and prices. We sign a mutual NDA . We review contracts, SLA’s, ....
Are you running more and more workloads on a Cloud Platform? Are your Cloud costs climbing out of control? Are you wasting money on idle or inefficiently deployed virtual machine instances, storage...
We would be happy to share with you our experiences and help you understand
the potential opportunities involved in achieving your goals.